Good Shepherd Evangelical Lutheran Church is a building, a gathering of believers, and a member of a worldwide Christian body.
- Our building stands on Mexico Road in O’Fallon, Missouri.
- We are a group of believers dedicated to proclaiming God’s Word in its truth and purity, administering the sacraments, seeking the lost and nurturing our fellow believers.
- We at Good Shepherd share “Christ’s Love, Our Calling” with other members of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS).
The WELS, characterized as theologically conservative, is the third largest Lutheran church body in America. With national offices in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, WELS began in 1850 when three German pastors met in Milwaukee. Today, it has grown to over 1200 congregations in North America. It has over 400,000 baptized members, which includes over 300,000 communicants, served by over 1000 pastors.
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church is an open door welcoming you in to hear the Good News about Jesus, our Savior from sin.
In the summer of 1981, Pastor Peter Berg of Redeemer Lutheran Church of Florissant began exploring the opportunities for a mission church in St. Charles County. The first public worship service of those who would become Good Shepherd Evangelical Lutheran Church was held on October 18, 1981.
Pastor Peter Pantizke began serving this exploratory group in June of 1982. The congregation worshiped in rented facilities for nearly ten years. First at the St. Peters Civic Center on Salt Lick Road and beginning in 1986 in the St. Peters Service Center. On August 4, 1991 we held the first service in our current church building and that building was dedicated to God’s glory on September 15th of that year.
Rev. Michael Dietz became our pastor in the beginning of 1999 and faithfully served until 2013. During that time we built the addition to our church building that serves as our Little Lambs preschool. Rev. Dietz is now a Christian giving counselor for WELS.
In the spring of 2014, Good Shepherd went to Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary’s assignment committee to call a graduate as our next pastor, and on July 13th, 2014, Pastor Steve Waldschmidt was ordained and installed as our current pastor. Under his care, in the name of Jesus, we pray that God may continue to use our ministry to include more names in the Lamb’s book of life. For our purpose is not to glorify our own name. O Lord, “your name and renown are the desire of our hearts” (Isaiah 26:8).